The grass is always greener on other side of the fence!

Canada is a land of democracy, land of culture, land of security, land of rights, flourishing children, glaciers, exquisite snow-capped mountain terrains and magnificent landscapes. Canada invites hundreds and thousands of immigrants/ refugees from the entire world every year. Canadians believe in equality of genders/ religion/race/color and cherish humanity. Canada is the hottest paradise for immigrants who want to live and work abroad and raise their kids in a peaceful and invulnerable environment. There are less crimes, strict laws and rules for offenders. But like every other place, there are pros and cons attached with this decision of migrating to Canada.

Ever since, I moved to Canada, a lot of people contacted me, showing their interest in working and living in Canada; looks like people really want to move to Canada. But before you decide on migrating here,you might be interested to have a look at the suggestions I have for you.

You must remember, there are not many work permits issued for people to work in Canada, you must have Permanent Residence to apply and work in Canada. To apply for Permanent Residence (PR), you can contact Immigration agents in your country, they can help you to collect necessary documents and assist you in getting Canadian PR.

Best time to migrate to Canada:-

Canadian immigration invites people according to their age, job, qualification, family status, marital status and all.

If you’re currently single or married (young couple without kids) and working at a junior level in your country that’s just starting a career or have only a few years’ experience at lower level.

Then you are the best person to apply for Canadian PR. At this age, since you’re a fresher, you may be happy to take any start-up job for your living. You can take up anything available to survive for some time and meanwhile further educate yourself with Canadian standards and slowly achieve higher degrees to get a better job than you had earlier and later settle down to increase your family in size.

Canada has its own education system and certification; they do not accept any other certifications in the world. It does not matter if you were working as a doctor or Engineer or you were the Top Boss at your past company. When you move to Canada, to get the job in your field, you will have to pass certain examinations and study according to Canadian system. It’s basically starting fresh from the scratch. If you are willing to accept any opportunity, you should definitely think of relocating to Canada or otherwise not.

It takes a few years to complete those courses and to verify your work certificates. Until then you have to survive, it’s depressing to compromise with anything at the higher level. One cannot live with their savings for a long time, due to this reason, people here accept any job for a particular time (by this I mean even in the coffee shop or at the grocery store.

People, who come here with kids and with very senior roles in the past, normally go under depression after a few months as getting a job here isn’t pretty easy. If you’ve a good amount of money to invest in a business that can feed you and your family, you should choose to arrive. Otherwise I wouldn’t ever suggest a person who is very well off in their country, owns a big house and cars…..sits on the Top level position. Thinking, it’s good for their kids’ future or their prosperity?? You’re totally wrong. You’ll take at least 4-5 years to adjust yourself, to the lifestyle and always think about what you left back home. If you are earning plentiful of money, you can always send your kids to study abroad in the US, Canada, Australia or UK rather than sacrificing your whole life and dreaming. You have to set your priorities.

There are many people who come here just to take passports and then go back. Canadian Passport doesn’t require Visa in many countries and when you work as an Expat with a Canadian Passport, you’re paid higher salaries and bigger roles. But the whole lot of time until you get your passport won’t be an icing on the cake.

Well, even after knowing this, you still choose to land in Canada as a PR, below are a few tips for you to help in settling down;

Best Weather to Migrate:- Once you’ve decided to migrate to Canada, choosing a right weather is very tricky. Schools start in September every year (fall season) then November- March is winter and it’s mostly harsh. Best time to move here is around May-June (spring)…..climate is nice, not very hot, and not very cold. You can freely walk outside with a light jacket.

This will give you enough time to study the area, neighborhood and surroundings and where to look for jobs and other stuff. If you have school going kids, you can find out about schools and even register them immediately. According to Canadian law, the school cannot deny admitting your child in the area you live even in the middle of the year.

Where to stay after you have migrated: You must’ve seen a lot of advertisements on the web, agencies that charge you X amount of money. They will allure you online, to give all kind of support once you land. Don’t fall for any of such advertisement.

Once you land in Canada, it’s always better to look for the cheaper hotels for initial few days and in the meanwhile find a rental home for you to live. There are different types of rentals available depending on what you can afford; cheap, medium, and expensive, this will also depend on which area you would want to live in. You can contact local grocery stores, community centers, they can help you. There are free newspapers that advertise rentals, call them to arrange a meeting; we found ours like that as well.

Don’t pay any home owner online before you move to the country. There are many scams where people have paid and found nothing after they have landed; cheap hotels are the best options for initial few days of landing.

Initial Start-up:- There are many community centers, libraries in each area, public transport is very convenient.

Sin Card; you can visit Service Canada centers yourself to make your SIN card. They will require few of your documents and will provide you with SIN NO. for initial use(to open bank account). Sin Card normally comes in your post box after a few days. Please note, SIN Card (Social Insurance no.) is the most confidential document in Canada, never share it with anyone, anytime. It will only be used to open a bank account and later at the time of home buying or getting mortgages.

Health Card; Health is free and right of every resident in Canada. But, initially, for 3 months, you’ll have to pay for the medical bills and doctor’s appointment on your own. There are short-term, cheaper medical insurances available, we took one and it was very reliable. We received our cheque for our claim in just 2-3 weeks.

After you’ve completed 3 months, you will receive the health card. You can visit Service Canada Center to apply for your health card after you land.

Bank Account and Credit Card:- Creating a bank account is quite easy here, there are several banks to choose from RBC, CIBC, BMO and TD are some of the larger ones. We chose to go with Bank of Montreal and have stayed with them.

Unlike in our home countries where we prefer to pay cash for every purchase, in Canada you must apply for a Credit Card as soon as you land. Since you are starting a new journey of life, credit card will create your credibility in this country. It’s like your Bio Data (history of payment) and you must get one for you and one for your spouse and use it regularly. Initially, they (banks) sometimes block some of your money as security deposit but will later give you more credits as you create your payment history.

Hope this information will help you in decide and choose the right destination for you!!

Best Regards,

Vandana Bhatt

17 Comments Add yours

1. shiva says:

Dear Ms.Vandana, Greetings, the info is very much useful. regards.

2. Versha says:

Dear vandana
    The other night over dinner at my cousin’s place in a nice secured locality,we had long open discussion about migrating to some Indian friendly country,never the less it dotted on Canada,and Australia.my brother in law n sister with one child policy in mind, thinking about years to come,and where there only child will move away for higher studies ,leaving them behind talks were the topic..as a parent the idea was to make base for the child( a toddler now) and stay around him when the child grows up..we had all these talks..indeed your this lil informative n all linked up blog is the answer to all….he ( brother in law)is a deputy director at very esteemed post in government of India..and the policies of Canada in your talk gives an idea to adjustment that the high level person will have to go through…confirms our doubts on adaptability, there to life …and this fall to rise again will indeed be depressing for any high level post professional…. will surely make them read this information…
    Keep writing more..
    Tc

1. vandanaraj81 says:

Thanks Versha, I have written what I could experience in last 6 years.

3. Sanjay says:

Well thought detailed observation… thank you

4. Preet says:

I totally agree to your thoughts…been there done that..

5. Kaushal K Singh says:

It was an eye opening !
    great piece of information for migration in CANADA?

1. asifkhan says:

I want to come canada give me visa

6. sanjeev thakur says:

Hi mem thanks for sharing your experience its really nice
    I am hotelier n I m always trying to moving how can I get my dreams to reach canada land

7. vandanaraj81 says:

Pls contact Immigration agent who can help you in getting your PR.

8. Bechit says:

Dear All,
    Please accept this letter and enclosed resume as an application for the position of jenior sous chef in both restaurants or hotels. With my ten years of previous line cooking experience and a deep understanding of kitchen operations, as well as good communication skills, I have the capacity to work perfectly in this role and exceed your expectations.

After my experience in more than three countries including : Dubai ,Saudi Arabia ,Qatar and Tunisia , I am well versed in a wide array of kitchen operations. My cooking skills include; preparation of sauces, stocks, soups, frying and broiling. I was trained at my previous job, I to prepare, cook, and display food in keeping with the service standards. Most prominently, I have a working knowledge of legal requirements regarding health and safety, kitchen cleanliness, proper fire procedures, safe usage of chemicals, and HACCP

My carer objectives is a growth for organization & as well as individual development. Hospitality industry, where I can Get an opportunity to utilize my talent, skills, Experience and also Implement and influence my To secure a challenging position and also reach the peak in the field of creative ideas in an organization

As a quick and productive candidate, I would welcome an opportunity from you and I will be waiting for any possibility of an interviewy. During this period, I can be reached at (+974) 33 424 889 .
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    Bechir Mokhtar

9. Mayank Malik says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I am still skeptical about my decision to migrate to Canada( PR ) along with my wife & kid. I am earning a descent salary in India, obviously not a lavish lifestyle and still relying on monthly savings, and there is always a charm which pulls towards Canadian lifestyle , kids education and of course improving financial status.
    My Brother took PR & migrated to Canada last year and he was lucky enough & backed well that he got a descent Insurance job in just 2 months. Considering the Job market over there , there is always an apprehension for losing the entire savings I secured till date and not getting a descent job in Canada. While I was in the process of filing PR I changed my job in India & started working with MNC. So I have dropped my plan for atleast next couple of years.
    Please advice , Is the job market really very stringent & difficult to get a descent job?

1. Kuntak RoyChoudhury says:

If you are around mid thirty and having a household annual income of Rs.35-40 lacs (considering earning of both you & your wife), then please don’t make the mistake of moving to Canada. Canada is a good place for when you are below 30 years and having 4-5 years experience in India. Then you have time to establish yourself in Canada which will take minimum 9-10 years time, before you can say that I have progressive Canadian experience.

10. Satish babu says:

Madam thank you for sharing information and I was planning to move Canada.

Liked by 1 person

11. Naveed Shahani says:

Hi Vandana,

Thank for you sharing this brilliant and informative read. I am 28 years old and born and raised in the UAE, with a few years experience in a few other countries in MEA in the hotel and hospitality field – my background being this with about 5 years solid work experience. I am currently in the PR process (province and city is not determined as yet) with an immigration lawyer based in Canada. What advice would you give me and what do you think should be the best way forward for me in my situation?

Would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks
    Naveed S.

1. vandanaraj81 says:

Good luck with your application, you have to arrive here before you actively seek for a new opportunity. All the very best, hope you find something suitable as soon as u land, 😀

12. EKo Dandy says:

Your write up is an inspiration to me especially considering d fact that i am working towards migrating to canada next yr 2017. Thanks so much for this wonderful Information you have given. But how do i get a reliable Agent to help me fastrack all the required documents?

Liked by 1 person